Friday, May 2, 2014

05.01.2014 - Lake Weatherford Marina - Weatherford, TX

I think I have found my new adopted home until I pack up and move back down to South Texas.

For my New England (Rhody) friends, think Oakland Beach. Just a pleasant place. And, while a lake, about as much beach frontage as that Oakland strip. It worked. While I, pretty much, am always wanting to be on the water... Tonight, it really hit home how much I enjoy that environment. The mindset is just kind of mine.

So, the show... Tonight Heath and I continued our exploration of playing acoustic. We have avoided acoustic since day one. We like the loud madness of rock n roll. We write for that concert setting. However, this is Texas and acoustic, well, it's something you're expected to do if you want to be taken as serious songwriters. So, we're trying it out.

I am happy to say that, after two acoustic shows under our belt, it seems to be working....and it has been a lot of fun. There's a different connection on an acoustic show. No blinky lights or fog machines (both I love). It's just you and your guitar, kind of naked. Scary as Hell. But, when you get a response, it's a pretty cool high.

Our set was, for the most part, was what you'd hear at a full band show, but we added some fun covers on a whim here and there. The freedom of just playing, rather than following the set list was fun for me.

We tried out some new material as well. We have a new song called Old Aledo and Heath made his lead vocal debut with it tonight!

I was really surprised at the dance floor. Mind you, we were acoustic. We expected NO dancing. Quite the opposite reaction and that was a treat.

Also, met a cool drummer girl... I apologize in advance... her name was Janelle? Jeanette? I am sure I have that wrong, there were several buckets of Shiner involved.... regardless, she had some hand percussion gear with her and joined us on the last few songs. Heath got her number... you might see her with us again . Nice girl and I apologize for the name... Names are Heath's department. I just show up and try to sing :)

So, that was it. Incredibly fun night and I hope to play there again.

Tomorrow night (tonight?), we are back at it with the acoustic thing. We had a last minute booking and will be at Reno Reds in Roanoke, TX. The next day, back to rock n roll and gawdy clothes with the full band at Mayfest in Fort Worth.

I love it and am thankful for the ability to play as often as we can. If you're in one of those towns, come say HI this weekend.

Stay Gold,
RFH


No comments:

Post a Comment