Saturday, May 3, 2014

05.02.2014 - Reno Red's - Roanoke, TX

Well, my clothes still smell like their food... can't be a bad thing, right?

Yesterday, I get a call from Dan the Man at Reno Red's... let me back up.... I live in Roanoke, Texas (Home of Juniors Lone Star Sauce). I am also a devoted customer of Reno Red's. When I have family and friends in town, I take them there for a nice Texas dinner. Follow me?

A year or so ago, they built a stage and wanted to bring more live music to Roanoke. Great. I am happy. I talk with the manager, Dan, and book Sand Dollar Rodeo there for fun. Goes well, he says to talk to him in March of 14 for when he starts booking Summer.

Well, a lot has happened since then... We are a five piece live band now. I told him the truth, I didn't think we'd fit on the stage and the expenses involved just wouldn't work. But, I love Reno Red's and, hey, Heath and I are playing around with an unplugged version of the band if he'd be interested. He was and we booked a mid-summer show. I also told him that if he had any cancellations, to let me know...

Back to the present.... they had a cancellation and we had a night off.

Heath and I are still finding our way with these acoustic shows, but it went ok. Not as good as last night. But, ok. The crowd there isn't accustomed to coming out for the music. They're just having a nice dinner and, if there's some background music, great. So, it was challenging trying to talk and do intros to songs with no response from the crowd. Heath and I have a lot of schtick that works when you're listening. Not so much when you're focused on your food.

However, we knew that was part of the deal. I honestly believe Reno Red's has the potential to be a great venue for live, original music. It just takes time to draw the right crowd. Again, not a bad night. I want to stress that. It was fine, just a little disconnected. Plus, with the short notice, we didn't have time to promote and bring the rodeo clowns out.

I think these acoustic shows are really healthy for Heath and I. Humility builds character... or so I am telling myself. When you're playing behind a high end PA and are backed by a wall of sound from great musicians, the crowd doesn't really notice when you hit a bad note... or when, in my case, I stop playing guitar altogether, to grab the Mic and work the crowd. Try that acoustic - I let go of the guitar and grab the Mic... and there is no rhythm section! Doh!

Anyway, we are learning.

Some highlights... Pitmaster Tex and Chrissie showed up with the one and only Junior! Nice little dude. And we decided he has a band in his future. That little boy was fascinated by the stage. As Chrissie told us later, we were his first live music encounter. That was neat... while we are not Cheap Trick, I do still remember my first show... aka Cheap Trick in 1979.

Then, the infamous Martirita, from PBM, showed up! She was at our first paid gig, back at Fred's in Fort Worth. Hell, she got us that gig. In retrospect, Fred's didn't like us, but it wasn't our scene. Even acoustic, we aren't into the boring norm of most "Texas music."  We were a bit much for Fred's LOL. Oh well... you live and learn. It was good to see her again.

We also made a few new friends. Thanks to everyone who engaged and played along and spoke with us on the breaks. Thanks for buying merchandise, too! I don't get it... We are noticing a trend that we are selling more merchandise at the acoustic shows... hmmm...

So, now we head back into the rock n roll circus. Tomorrow (today?) We are at Mayfest in Fort Worth for a full band show. Heath and I were talking earlier about how, while the acoustic gigs have been fun, we are ready to go crazy with the full band tomorrow!

If you're around Fort Worth, come on out to Mayfest tomorrow. We have some built up energy and this has the potential to be an awesome show.

Ok, time for me to get a couple hours sleep before we do it all over again. See you tomorrow!

Stay gold,
RH







No comments:

Post a Comment