Sunday, May 4, 2014

05.03.2014 - Mayfest - Fort Worth, TX

Summer has arrived! Maybe not officially, but wearing jeans, boots and black in 90 degree weather, it sure felt like it. Guess that's my problem, though. For everyone else, what a beautiful day along the banks of the Trinity river in Fort Worth.

This was the second year for Sand Dollar Rodeo to play Mayfest. This time, same stage, but a better time slot. More shade, too!

Y'all know me, I always love a good fest. So, I showed up a few hours early and took in the sights, sounds and tastes. I had a chicken gyro that was awesome (despite the heartburn later during our set - haha.. oh well). This particular festival is really pleasant. Seems like everyone is on Xanax or some other mood elevating substance. I noticed that last year as well. They're just pleasantly floating around the festival grounds. Speaking of which... after I played around at the fest, I went back over to Coyote Drive-In to meet up with the band. Heath and I were in one vehicle and we took a wrong turn into downtown Fort Worth. We look over to our left and hear comes this sea of people at us with a big banner that read, "Cannabis March." Maybe they got lost, too, and wound up at Mayfest. Could explain a lot. Either way, we got a good laugh out of it.

Our set went great. No complaints. The sound was good and the crowd was receptive. When I was out earlier, I noticed most of the other bands seemed to be cover bands. I was really glad for the response and their willingness to try listening to something new.

Funny stage moment... there was this big, really tall, thrill ride called Speed staring right at me throughout the show. I wish I had a picture to show. If you have one, comment below and post it! Anyway, the way it was spinning made it look like it was coming right at me every revolution. At one point, I remember watching it, then going "oh crap, I am supposed to be singing." If you knew the song, sorry. If not, hey, ignorance is bliss. I started laughing at myself pretty good at that point.

I sang for about 3 hours Thursday night, same on Friday night. Then, an hour on Saturday. My voice is a little tired today, but what a great weekend. I said it the other day - I am so thankful to be able to do this and appreciate everyone that came out. I had a really good time. I think we all did.

Next up, we're heading to Glen Rose for our first visit to Hollywood & Vine of 2014. We have a history of dodging thunder storms in Glen Rose. Keep your fingers crossed and, if you're in the area, come on out for one of THE best patios in the country. Unique is putting it lightly.

As usual, I wasn't able to catch any pictures on my own, but here are a few courtesy of Brian Barton and Mike Thornton.

Stay gold kids,
Roy Holliday
www.SandDollarRodeo.com

Mayfest Riverbank Stage Schedule

Brian and Trey selfie on the bus to the show

Trinity River aka backstage

Sand Dollar Rodeo - Mayfest Fort Worth 2014

Sand Dollar Rodeo - Mayfest Fort Worth 2014

Sand Dollar Rodeo - Mayfest Fort Worth 2014

Sand Dollar Rodeo - Mayfest Fort Worth 2014

Sand Dollar Rodeo - Mayfest Fort Worth 2014





No comments:

Post a Comment