Saturday, January 5, 2013

01.04.2013 - Fred's TX Cafe - Fort Worth, TX

So, Happy New Year! Winding down after our first show of the year at Fred's earlier this evening... 

While it started out kind of crazy, "fun night" sums it up. What I learned tonight is that if you're playing at Fred's (or anywhere around the West 7th strip), you should probably show up around 10am if you want to find a parking space. 

For the most part, I like to show up fairly early for shows and chill out by myself for a while in the car or walking the neighborhood. So, as is part of my routine, I was right on target for being there about an hour or so before load in. Fast forward to 10 minutes before load in and I'm still looking for a parking space. Horrible parking situation - reminded me a lot of playing in Boston. I dare you to find a parking spot in Boston. Anyway, finally got situated and made a mad dash to the stage for sound check. Luckily, the sound guy was running late as well, so I wasn't "late." But, I was a little rattled and we were to start just a few minutes after checking the sound. 

Ran to the bar and got my standard issue Shiner Black... ahhh... took a breath, took to the stage and started the show. 

There's something very unique about Texas music venues. It's the only state (as a whole) I've ever played where they have places full of people actually wanting to hear new music and they will sit and listen to you - even without knowing any of your songs. That's something you don't see a lot elsewhere. In other places, you play a room like this and you're background music while they drink, eat and do their own thing. While we didn't play to a million people tonight, those that were there were receptive and seemed to have a good time. It was nice. 

Highlight of the evening, for me, was church... I mean Fried Okra. That song is always fun to play live, but tonight they were particularly into it. Hallelujah! 

While Candy was AWOL tonight, this was our first show with Cisco on percussion. He adds to our sound nicely and I am glad to have him on board. Heath and I are starting to gel more on stage as well. It was nice seeing him loosen up more and get a little goofy. Goofy is fun. Goofy is good. I want whatever was in that tea he was drinking. Now, I just need to get him to a parrot head convention... he could be dangerous after that!

In the end, it was a good night. Nice venue, nice crowd, nice staff. As I type this and finish another beer, the mind is running with thoughts about tomorrow nights show in Aledo. It will be a different situation altogether, playing a traditional "concert" at a honky tonk with the Zach Coffey Band. Personally, I am more of a "concert" kind of guy. I know myself in that situation and am much more comfortable on stage there than with people up close and "listening" to me LOL. Should be a wild night... I saw "case of beer" on the contract for the show... that's always good. 

So, check back Sunday and we'll see how it went! 

Stay gold,
RH



No comments:

Post a Comment