Sunday, January 6, 2013

01.05.2013 - Dirt Roads Dance Hall - Aledo, TX

Well, you know you're on your way to somewhere interesting when the GPS doesn't acknowledge that the address actually exists. GPS to nowhere? Nah... we were somewhere last night. Somewhere called the Dirt Roads Dance Hall in Aledo, TX (formerly Wild Wet Willie's). Lucky for me, someone had mentioned that it was between a strip club and a XXX book store. So, I was able to see it from the highway and managed to find it without the GPS. 

I pulled in a little after 5pm, before anyone was there, and took in the scenery. With the beer bottle leftovers from the night before in the parking lot, my view was of a neon sign for a club called Temptations (which appeared to be a hot spot for the truckers passing by) and one of those seasonal haunted houses. Looked like it used to be a gas station or something that went out of business, then was leased by the haunted house people. As some of you may know, I have a thing for driving the highways and enjoy these environments. If it's on the side of a highway and looks interesting, there's always a good chance I'll stop. The more run down, looking like an old truck stop or motel cocktail bar, the better. 

With that said, the exterior of Dirt Roads Dance Hall was well kept up and looked to have been recently remodeled. It almost looked out of place. However, I had convinced myself that once I walked in, I was going to see a stage enclosed in chicken wire or fencing. 

I was wrong about the stage. Although, during sound check, I wouldn't have minded if it was caged in. Red, I believe his name was, entered and made it known to all that he was looking for a hot mic and was ready to sing. This guy was loud, drunk, loud and drunk. I think he was loud and drunk as well. Anyway, we did our thing as he showed off his auction calling skills and then proceeded to sing Six Days On The Road acapella. In the end, I don't know what we said to him, but he became our friend, said he was the BBQ master and would make sure we had his BBQ, "the best damned BBQ you boys will ever have," the next time he saw us. Ok, sounded good and he was on his way to Shreveport to gamble by 6:30 or so... Guys, here's a word to the wise: Bands don't like it when you come in for their sound check, regardless of who you are. It's a vulnerable and important time where we need to focus on what were doing without distraction. That's why it's usually done before the doors are opened. Now you know. Unfortunately, that's not always the case and you often have to do what you have to do. So, we did, we moved on and had a laugh about it later. 

Fast forward a few hours. Place is starting to fill up and we're getting ready to play. Oh, rewind now. It was a double bill with The Zach Coffey Band. Ok, now fast forward up to that previous spot... dizzy yet? So, we looking at the crowd, really curious, almost a little nervous, about how we'd be received. This was one of those places where all Hell could break loose if it wanted to. Cheap beer, cheap shots, etc. But, for the most part, everyone seemed to know each other and were friendly. So, it's 9:30 and we start... 

After the usual first shock on their faces of our setup (as in we use a lot of electronics and don't exactly look like what you'd expect after hearing us), toes started tapping, the crowd relaxed and we tried our best to throw them a party. 

The music was received ok at first, but I think they were expecting a cover band. While we do throw a few in here and there, we are not a cover band. No intentions of ever being a cover band and we do not represent ourselves as being one. Here's the cool thing, though... we had people dance to every one of our originals - more people danced to our original stuff than they did to the covers we threw in. I can not tell you what an awesome feeling it is to see people dancing to something that you wrote. 

After the show, we received quite a few compliments and it was nice to hear that they liked our sound, despite our non-traditional country format. So, in the end, it was a good night, we got paid and, most important - didn't get our asses kicked! I'd call that a success! 

Oh, and the next band played pretty much nothing but covers, so it was win/win for everyone. The customers got to hear something fun and fresh, then as the booze kicked in, they got to hear the bar songs and dance the rest of the night away... 

As I type this, I am enjoying the Sunday off with my friends at Shiner while watching Selena(s) on DVD. Life is good. 

Talk y'all next week! 

Stay gold,
RH


Posted on the Punching Bag machine near the stage...


2 comments:

  1. I had a guy come up to me after the show and said, "Well, that was different, but I liked it."

    ReplyDelete