Tuesday, June 3, 2014

06.03.2014 - 95.9 The Ranch Pickin' Party - Willow Park, TX

I am home now and watching Trevor Horn's Slaves to the Rhythm DVD from Netflix. I find myself in such a weird place. I adore technology. It's my thing. Regardless of whether you liked it or not, Trevor was responsible for for a large part of what you heard on the radio in the eighties and beyond. He was (and still is) very influential on what and how I do what I do. Good DVD.

Now, let's forget all that... we're in Texas.

What a fun, strange, trip tonight was. It's no secret, I am not a fan of acoustic shows. I take that back, I am not a fan of Sand Dollar Rodeo playing acoustic. I write our songs for full band, with sound effects and a lot of synth sounds. So, when it is stripped down, it makes me uncomfortable.

However, as time has gone by, I have learned that our Texas friends want to hear it stripped down. They want to hear the lyrics and find out who you are as a person, what the songs are actually about, that kind of stuff. So, a while back, Heath and I decided we'd give it a shot, just to see what happened. We booked a few acoustic shows.

I am glad, and confused, to find that these shows keep going well. I saw John Waters last week and had the chance to speak with him after the show. He didn't seem to get his current stand-up / non-movie success either. For some reason, some people just want to see entertainers raw and unpolished.

So, you got it tonight...Heath and I had heard about something called 95.9 The Ranch's Pickin' Party with Zane Williams & Randy Brown at the Railhead...

I didn't have anything going, Heath said, "let's do it" and we did. Just guitars and us. We played a couple songs, it went fine, we promoted Saturday's show. Good, right? No... it was REALLY good. We tapped into Texas musicians from all around the state. Made some good contacts. Who knew?

End of the night summation: This is all about networking here in Texas... and you'll probably see us at a few more of these things again this Summer :)

Saturday, we return to this same location for a full band show. It's a nice place to see a full band show in an "up close" environment. If you're out and about in the Willow Park / Aledo / Weatherford area, come by Railhead and say "hello." Railhead is located at 120 S. Ranch House Rd., Willow Park TX 76008. 

Stay gold... see you Saturday
RH
www.SandDollarRodeo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment