Monday, December 16, 2013

12.14.2013 - Community Beer Company - Dallas, TX

Well, I guess we're done for the year. Last show was cancelled due to an ice storm that effectively shut North Texas down for about 3 days. Looking back, it's probably better that everyone stayed safe at home. So, it was nice to be able to play again. Felt like we hadn't played in ages. 

This was another of the beer shows... as I've said before, they're a different bird. No stages, very casual, just setup wherever it's convenient and play. Sometimes it's fun to just be able to do that and not worry about the usual stage headaches that pop up throughout a night. No falling off this stage... well, I guess you could. There is a lot of beer. They're also daytime shows, so it's just a really a different feeling for me. More like I'm going to a social event than to work. 

The show itself went fine. No major technical difficulties, aside from having a pad channel go out on my controller during Carry Me Home. I don't think anyone really noticed other than me, though. I'll be spending the next days figuring what's wrong with it. Luckily, I have backups of all my gear, so not the end of the world if the thing has completed its lifespan. 

As I had mentioned, it was the last show of the year for us. 2013 has been an exciting year for us. We've made some good moves, made some mistakes, too... and it has been a real learning experience. When I was much younger, I played in a band that had good sized management, marketing, etc.and we never really played clubs and places like I am now. We just just would play concert halls a few weeks a year, all originals aside from a cover of Dirty Deeds to close the show. Totally different beast now. We've played a lot of shows this year. We've played a lot of songs. It's been a lot of fun and I wouldn't undo any of it. 

2014 will be an interesting year as we move things forward. There will be changes. There will be new originals. There are quite a few we've written since the GPS disc was released and we're eager to get them into the shows. For now, I am going to have a little fun over the next weeks. 

First off, I will probably do one more blog post, just looking back over the year, letting you guys know some of the goofy things that have happened to us over the year. I also am working on a mix of some of the music I used to spin when I DJ'd at an afterhours club in the late 80's - it should be a good laugh and make everyone that knows the songs feel really old (LOL), working on a remix of Into The Night as well. Oh, Paul Kane (Island Castaways Band) and I are trading ideas on a new song or two for them. Gonna be a busy Winter. Busy is good.

I'm going to put together a Spotify playlist of all the songs we've played on stage this year. That will be fun and you'll see how many crazy things we've actually played live! Unfortunately, one of those - one of our favorites - is a little obscure and isn't available on Spotify. So... have a little video from Saturday below. It's a song called Postcard by the band St. Somewhere. We've played it at almost every show, even when just Heath and I played by ourselves for a couple shows in 2012. Heck, we might have played it at every show - kind of our soundcheck song when we don't have time for a soundcheck. A bit sentimental for all sorts of reasons as it has grown with us. 

Thanks, again, for reading... I'll talk to y'all soon!

Stay gold,
RH


No comments:

Post a Comment