Sunday, December 1, 2013

11.30.2013 - Caddo Street Grill - Cleburne, TX

Eh, sometimes you just have one of those nights, right? 

I was really looking forward to last nights show in Cleburne. The first time we were there, it went well. It wasn't crazy busy, but they said they liked us and re-booked. Last night, something was just off. I noticed when I got there, there were not as many cars as last time. Mind you, this was hours and hours before our time, not the same crowd that would be there for us. But, it was an odd indicator as last time, the place was packed early. 

Anyway, loaded in, got setup in time, no major drama in setup and sound check. A couple even started dancing to GPS to Nowhere at sound check. Then, at 9pm, we start the show and it was the weirdest thing. It was like performing in a mirrored box. It's like we could see the crowd, but they could see us. At times, we wondered if they could hear us. We start a song, finish it, then it would be followed by silence. We were reading body language and the crowd was fine, no unhappy / we hate your music faces, crossed arms or the like. They were just unresponsive. 

I entertained myself by getting out my credit card and buying the band several pitchers of beer. Oh well. It probably wasn't the right choice, but it felt right at the moment. Oh, and I bought the table of bikers that came in late a beer. Hell, they were the only ones having a party. I threw beads at them, taunted them and they had a blast.  They were nice, paid attention, sang along and had fun. I'm glad they came or my night would have been even further off. I'm fine if I know you don't like me, but it's the weirdest thing to just get no response at all out of a crowd. Not even a "can you play Casey Donahew?" from drunk girls.  That's one I hear a lot. For the record, drunk girls like Casey Donahew. Know you know. You're welcome. 

At the end of our set, it just kind of ended. Nothing spectacular. It just ended. We packed up, said goodbye and left for Fort Worth. 

Nights like this happen, not the end of the world. Like I said, it wasn't bad. We sounded fine, no complaints from the crowd or staff. It was just "odd." I stopped at a McDonald's on the highway, loaded up a mix of October Faction, Saccharine Trust and Tom Troccoli's Dog, then zoned out for the ride home... Breathe in, breathe out, move on... talk to you kids next week. 


Stay gold,
RH







No comments:

Post a Comment