Sunday, October 27, 2013

10.25.2013 - The Score - Fort Worth, TX

So, I'm running behind this weekend - sorry. We'll catch things up today!

First time playing at The Score in Fort Worth. Honestly, I wasn't really looking forward to it. I had never been there, hadn't heard anything about it around town, and it was going to be an all-nighter show. I just had this gut feeling that it was going to be one of "those" places where I pull up and sit in the car 20 minutes deciding whether or not to go in. I seem to recall doing that at a place called Wet Creek early in the year. Plus, as many of you know, I am not a fan of most of the popular sports - football and baseball bore the Hell out of me - I like going to baseball games because I like hot dogs and beer and the friends I am there with. I'm not there for the game itself. Anyway, the place billed itself as a sports bar. Yippee. 

As I pull in the lot, out comes Heath all smiley as usual. He had booked this show, actually he used to play pool there years ago, so he was a little more familiar with the place. I walk in and was happy to find a nice mid-sized stage, dance floor and a decent light show. Additionally, it was an older venue and not the cookie cutter Yuppieville, USA sports bar in the corner of a shopping center. The crowd were more working class and bikers. I let out a sigh of relief and got ready for the night. 

The show itself was went fine. Light crowd, but we sold a CD or two, had some folks dance, etc. Brian, Cisco, Heath and I played fairly tight. A few issues with my guitar playing - still have some irritation from the finger issue of last week, didn't play guitar all week to allow for healing. But, my playing was tolerable. 

Some of Heath's friends from high school or maybe earlier school, Paul & Joe, showed up. The beer and shots flowed. It was a fun night for both the crowd and the band that night. 

After the show, we're doing our "thank you's" out in the crowd and I see Heath making this goofy "oh my God" face. I'm like, "what?" He had been talking with this really large (as in tall and wide, not fat) man. Heath comes over and goes, "oh blah blah blah blah... that's so and so (name was Greek to me)." I go, who? Yeah, here's where I am a bad local - Heath says, "Dallas Cowboys, he played Roger Staubach era, Hall of Fame... Rayfield Wright." I'm like, ok. Heath keeps talking to the guy, I come back by and  Rayfield grabs me and says, get your camera and starts taking off his rings - and starts putting them on Heath's hands. Super Bowl ring, Hall of Fame ring... you get the picture. Heath is just glowing, it was fun to watch. Note: Heath, if I've got any of those ring names or what not wrong, feel free to post below and correct me - you know how swift I am on football facts.  

Anyway, Rayfield was a very charming person to talk with and it was nice to meet him. Turns out that he lives around Heath's place and they see him at the grocery store from time to time. If you've never seen someone fairly well known in a situation like that, it's kind of funny. You want to be cool and casual, but at the same time you want to go and talk to them. When I lived in Leon Springs (San Antonio), my local grocery store was across the street from a gated community called The Dominion. Most of the San Antonio Spurs live there, George Strait has a house there, Tommy Lee Jones, Alice from the Brady Bunch, all sorts of people... and you'd see them at the store all the time. I remember the first time I met Tim Duncan from the Spurs - WOW! That is a tall man! And it's kind of funny to see him pushing a little grocery cart. I'd see George Strait and Ann Davis (Alice) in Mailboxes Etc all the time. I helped Stone Cold Steve Austin pack up Christmas presents to send his kids in England one afternoon at Mailboxes Etc. He was a really nice guy. Anyway, I'm getting off track... we had a pro football player in the house and it elevated the buzz of the overall night. While I am not a football fan, I do respect anyone that can navigate the pro sports system. It's just like the music industry, same thing, different color. 

At the end of the night, things had gone well. The lady that booked had asked us back. We think we'll do this place again, for sure, just have to find a date that works. Write it down, I could actually like a sports bar...


Heath & Rayfield

Sand Dollar Rodeo (L to R: Brian, Cisco, Heath, Roy) and Rayfield Wright post-show @ The Score, Ft. Worth 10/2013











1 comment:

  1. You got it right, Roy. It was Rayfield's Super Bowl ring and his Hall of Fame ring! I cant believe he offered to let me wear them. Totally humble and classy guy.

    ReplyDelete