Monday, June 17, 2013

06.15.2013 - Stockyards Stage @ The Coliseum - Fort Worth, TX

One word: Hot. Ok, maybe one more word: Humid. 

I've played outdoors in heat many times, but this was probably one of the more uncomfortable times. Hot, humid and the air wasn't moving. While setting up, I would set something up, stop and have water, set something else up, stop and have water, repeat til done. I'll bet I drank close to a case of water by end of the night. I've played in higher temperatures, even in direct sun, this was just weird. I suppose it could have rained.

Aside from the weather, things went fine. It's an odd feeling, being soundtrack music for the Fort Worth Stockyards experience. The bulk of the crowd is constantly moving up and down the street, slowing down to watch for a song or two, then continuing their tourist agendas. Then, the Coliseum doors open and bam, lots of people appear from nowhere.

The main thing I remember from this one is the heat. I think the heat and the bump on my head from the night before kind of took its toll. Had trouble remembering some of the words and just felt a little off the whole night. Luckily, you can walk around the Stockyards with beer, so I'm pretty sure most of them didn't notice too much. Fingers crossed on that one. 

Anyway, playing the Stockyards was on the Sand Dollar Rodeo bucket list and can now be checked off. We might do it again, just have to see what comes around. I'd also like to play in the station area, out in front of Ernest Tubbs' Record Shop. They have bands out there every once in a while and I think it would be a lot of fun. Actually, that's where I thought we were playing when we were originally booked. I was kind of wrong... but it worked out fine. 

Next weekend, another goofy show that I dug up... I see black lights, ugly shoes, nachos and cheap beer in view for next Saturday night... until then...

Stay gold,
RH

No comments:

Post a Comment