Saturday, June 15, 2013

06.14.2013 - Tammy's Hideaway - Burleson, TX

Well, hello strangers! Yes, it's been a while since our last show. But, we have been staying busy... more on that later. 

So, last night Sand Dollar Rodeo made a return visit to Tammy's in Burleson. We weren't originally scheduled to play there. Another band that our booking agent handles (The Rocky Lott Band) had to cancel due to hospitalization of their guitarist, so we filled in for them with only about a days notice.  

The night went fine, very much like we remembered Tammy's having been the last time we played there. A few more people than last time, though. That's always a good thing. 

This place is just an odd, small town bar, with a unique charm. If you've ever been in a VFW lounge, it almost has that same vibe... and, judging by the urinal target pictured below, there are a few Vets that are regulars, employees or something similar. 

Highlights of the night; The guy that kept bringing us beer, then proceeded to set napkins on fire and fall of his bar stool around midnight, and he just layed on the floor for a while. Guess the concrete was cooler than the AC :) We also had a Monkees fan in the house. Kind of cracked me up. I admit it, I am a fan, as well, and while we played Steppin' Stone, we didn't have Last Train To Clarksville ready to go. So, of course, he heckled us (in a good way) most of the night. It was funny. He would ask for the song and I would reply over the mic with lyrics from the song, but as spoken word like I was having a conversation with him, assuring he'd be there by 4:30 cause I'd made his reservation... I think I rattled off several Monkees spoken word monologues in between songs... Girl (Davy Jones vs Marcia Brady), Let's Dance On, I Wanna Be Free, etc. I think I see a Monkees medley in the works for these longer nights.

Lowlights: Heath got his favorite amp back from the repair guy. It died (again) about an hour into the show. So, he ran out and grabbed his little practice amp and it saved the day again. I suppose it would't be right for Heath to show up to a show without a new amp every time, maybe it was a sign. I'm sure he's out shopping as I type this... I kind of liked the big stack he had last week. We'll see what he shows up with tonight - always a surprise! Another odd thing was our setup. Nothing you guys would notice, but, umm... we've been up to something... like adding a new member to the band. Over the past weeks off, we've been auditioning bass players... and we found one! You all will be introduced to Carlos probably in late July. Anyway, we sounded good last night. But, with the new addition, it's a whole other beast. I think Heath and I both were kind of missing what we heard with Carlos last weekend. Soon... very soon! Anyway, I'm off track... oh yeah, I also had a speaker fall on my head. That's going to leave a mark. Ugh. 

In the end, we had a nice time. Music was well received and we got paid. That's about all we can ask for, right? Tonight... we play the Fort Worth Stockyards, outdoors at the legendary Coliseum. Should be a fun night. 

Stay gold,
RH



Hanoi Jane Urinal Target @ Tammy's Hideaway

Goodbye, old amp... 




No comments:

Post a Comment