Sunday, March 24, 2013

03.23.2013 - Hollywood & Vine - Glen Rose, TX

Hollywood & Vine - Round Two!

Ah, that's how you take a rainy, icky, crappy weekend and make it good. Saturday night, we made a return visit to lovely Glen Rose, Texas. You know, I liked the town the first time, liking it even more after the second visit.

The weather in the DFW metroplex was rainy and cool on Saturday. We assumed we would be playing inside. H & V has an awesome patio area and we were really looking forward to playing outside. You can imagine how we felt when we saw the forecast. But, here's the deal... probably 20 or 30 minutes outside of Glen Rose and it starts clearing up... getting a tad warmer.

When I arrived, the owner grabbed me and explained they thought it might work outside, but it was our call. We could tell 2 out of 3 in charge thought we'd do best outside. And, while Heath fears the cold (aka anything below 70), I enjoy cold on stage - I normally am really hot. So, we played outside!

The crowd was ok. You could tell, there were some people turned off by the "cold." But, for the most part, it was ok. Towards the end of the night it was probably in the 50's and starting to get damp. We'll be playing there again on June 8th and it should be, wait for it... fun (ok, le gen da ry). The picture below doesn't really do it justice, but it's a cool stage on their funky patio as well. I'm guessing it's about 6 feet off the ground, built into the side of a hill.All 3 of us were clumped together in the picture, but we had room to get spread out and comfortable when we wanted. We're kind of curious about the snake situation once it warms up, though!

Oh, and for those of you readers that are not in Texas... Hollywood and Vine had quite the week. A new movie was partially shot in their restaurant this week. Randy Travis and James Dupre star in it. If you check out the picture below, this is them on the little stage area we played on last time (aka the bad weather stage). Anyway, I can't remember the name of the movie, but when I do remember, I will let you all know so you can check it out. Hollywood & Vine is a really neat place. I'm glad to see that Wanda & Curtis (da bosses) will be getting some much deserved attention in the near future.

Next weekend we're off. While I love playing live with Sand Dollar Rodeo, I am quite glad. It's been a very long week or two with some home and family issues that I won't get into here. Plus, finishing the album with all that going on has proven to be exhausting. Fair to say, I want nothing more to do next weekend but color Easter eggs and drink beer.

I hope the Easter beagle treats you all very well. Talk to you after the next show!

Til then, stay gold...
Roy








No comments:

Post a Comment