Friday, January 17, 2014

01.15.2014 - Bigstar97.com's Campfire Jam - Burleson, TX

Sorry for the delay on this one. I think I might have picked up a little something. Came home after the show and crashed. Felt really bad the next day... sore throat, sneezing, just run down. Tis the season, right? Well, I am still a bit under the weather, but seems to be getting better. So, let's do this!

First off, this is the most nervous I have been before a show in a long time, possibly ever. It's a pretty well known fact that we are not an acoustic band and have no aspirations of ever being one. That being said, it costs Heath and I a small chunk of money to bring a full show to you guys. So, it's an obstacle to just "play for exposure" to get word out about the band.

A few months back, Heath and I were brainstorming for ways to promote the band without breaking the bank. What if we tried an acoustic set? Ok. Maybe. I am not a fan of open mics. Or, as I like to call them, "we're too cheap to pay for entertainment, but bring your friends and buy our drinks" night. And, as I mentioned, we have no intention of being an acoustic act. But, I had to admit that I was curious to hear what it would sound like. So, we did a little research and stumbled on Bigstar97.com's Campfire Jam. They are a radio station and the show is acoustic, as they're wanting to focus on the lyrics and writing rather than the bells and whistles. Ok. Interesting. So, we contacted and booked it.

I'm glad we did.

Let me backup a few weeks... We knew this gig was coming and we knew we needed to practice for it. We also just brought on a new drummer and were trying to add a keyboardist. That pretty much sucked up any free rehearsal time. But, we were able to get together the weekend before the show. Anyway, that's why I was so nervous. I am normally very well rehearsed before a show. This time, we were basically playing naked (no keys, drums or bass) and only had time to work out which songs we were going to play and how we would start and end them. Sounded like a disaster in the making to me.

So, we show up. Met the host, Meagan, and she was very laid back, almost comforting. She assured us it would be fine and then it was "30 seconds and we're live."

What an odd experience for someone used to loud and crazy shows. We did our thing, got to talk about the inspirations for the different songs and I saw people listening to the words (rather than the melody) coming from my mouth. It was ok. We survived and even unloaded a few CD 's.

Also on the bill was The Usrey Brothers. They have the acoustic thing down. It was obvious that they are used to that vs full band. Nice guys as well. Check them out if they are in your neck of the woods.

In the end, would I do it again? Probably, if it was at the right place and for the right reason. It went fine, but I really prefer the energy of a full on show. So, it's going to be a rare thing. However, it was a great bonding and growing experience for Heath and I. You think you're putting it all out there when you play live with a band... try it without amps, effects units, props or anything else! Oh well, at least now we know we can still pull off a show if the power goes out :)

Hope you all have a great weekend Stay gold,
RFH




No comments:

Post a Comment